Haringey Advice Partnership Volunteers
Thinking of becoming a volunteer? See a list of reasons that will help you make up your mind.
#10: It's good for you
Volunteering provides physical and mental rewards. It:
- Reduces stress: Experts report that when you focus on someone other than yourself, it interrupts usual tension-producing patterns.
- Makes you healthier: Moods and emotions, like optimism, joy, and control over one's fate, strengthen the immune system.
#9: It saves resources
Volunteering provides valuable community services so more money can be spent on local improvements..
#8: Volunteers gain professional experience
You can test out a career.
#7: It brings people together
As a volunteer you assist in:
- Uniting people from diverse backgrounds to work toward a common goal
- Building camaraderie and teamwork
#6: It promotes personal growth and self esteem
Understanding community needs helps foster empathy and self-efficacy.
#5: Volunteering strengthens your community
As a volunteer you help:
- Support families (daycare and eldercare)
- Improve schools (tutoring, literacy)
- Support youth (mentoring and after-school programs)
- Beautify the community (beach and park cleanups)
#4: You learn a lot
Volunteers learn things like these:
- Self: Volunteers discover hidden talents that may change your view on yourself worth.
- Government: Through working with local non-profit agencies, volunteers learn about the functions and operation of our government.
- Community: Volunteers gain knowledge of local resources available to solve community needs.
#3: You get a chance to give back
People like to support community resources that they use themselves or that benefit people they care about.
#2: Volunteering encourages civic responsibility
Community service and volunteerism are an investment in our community and the people who live in it.
#1: You make a difference
Every person counts!
How do I become a volunteer!
- Download and read our Volunteer Roles and Expectations doc (147 KB).
- Download our Application Pack (308kb) or fill in the online form.